ENTERTAINMENT NEWS


Category
ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Judge explains Kartel conspiracy defense a scheme

March 8, 2014
Post Image

Kartel Trial 2014 .jpgPhoto Jamaican Observer 

JO – KINGSTON, Jamaica — Justice Lennox Campbell in continuing his summation in the Vybz Kartel murder trial told jurors on Friday that the “overall scheme” of the defence is that there was a conspiracy to convict the accused men.

Campbell’s use of the word “scheme” to describe the defence caused a lawyer for the accused to mouth the word “scheme” in surprise.

The judge was summing up the evidence of Detective Constable Avril Thomas of the MIT.

He reminded jurors that Thomas had said that none of the photos he took at Kartel’s Havendale home where Clive ‘Lizard’ Williams was believed to have been murdered on August 16, 2011 had been tampered with.

In light of the defence of conspiracy, Campbell further told jurors that it is important to look at the actions of the policeman to determine of it was “authorised by law”.

ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Man Arrested With Tommy Lee For Lottery Scamming Charged With Murder

February 23, 2014
Post Image

Tommy-Lee-02

One of the men who was recently arrested in a lottery-scamming probe in Kingston 5, has been charged with murder by the St James Police and will be appearing in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

He is 20-year-old Oshane Rankine of Dalling Street, Westmoreland. He was charged on Saturday, February 15 in connection with the October 2013 shooting death of 27-year-old Ramar Cunningham in Lilliput, St James. A man was also injured in the incident, and he has also been charged with wounding with intent and illegal possession of firearm and ammunition.

The other four persons were charged by detectives from the Major Organised Crime and Anti-Corruption Task Force (MOCA) on Saturday, February 8 for breaching the Law Reform (Fraudulent Transaction) (Special Provision) Act. They are:

1. Twenty-six-year-old Leroy Russell, otherwise called ‘Tommy Lee’.
2. Twenty-three-year-old Sabrina Williams of Brompton Road, Kingston 5.
3. Eighteen-year-old Obrien Smith, also of Brompton Road, Kingston 5.
4. Twenty-three-year-old Shanice James, of Flankers, St. James.

They will appear in the Corporate Area Criminal Court on Tuesday, March 4.

The five were arrested following investigations that were launched by MOCA when it was discovered that Rankine, who was cited for breaching the Road Traffic Act about 4 p.m. on February 3 by members of the New Kingston Police Post, gave an identity that turned out to be fictitious. An operation was conducted at an apartment complex on Brompton Road, Kingston 5. During a search of the premises, paraphernalia related to lottery scamming were detected and seized.

ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Rihanna wins multimillion-dollar law suit settlement

February 23, 2014
Post Image

rihanna-lawsuit

JO – NEW YORK, United States (CMC) – Barbados singing sensation Rihanna has won a multimillion-dollar settlement after she nearly went bankrupt reportedly based on bad advice from her former accountant.

Rihanna, whose real name is Robyn Fenty, claimed her ex-accountant Peter Gounis and the Manhattan accounting firm, Berdon LLP, gave her the green light to buy a US$7-million Southern California house, “even though she was bleeding cash in 2009,” the New York Post reported.

“The defendants advised Ms Fenty by email that purchasing a home in Los Angeles “would be a good investment”, despite knowing Ms Fenty was experiencing financial difficulties,” wrote Rihanna’s lawyer Edward Estrada.

In the lawsuit, Rihanna claimed that she lost US$9 million, leaving her with just US$2 million at the end of 2009.

Her lawyers claimed Gounis was aware the house she was buying was rotting from water and mould damage, forcing her to spend more than US$1 million on improvements before selling it for nearly US$2 million less than what she paid, according to the New York Post newspaper.

The paper said Rihanna fired the accountants and sued them for US$35 million in 2012. It said the firm has offered the singer a settlement of more than US$10 million, and papers are due to be signed soon.

ENTERTAINMENT NEWS Homepageslide

Witness says he is not afraid of Vybz Kartel

December 1, 2013

[singlepic id=700 w=658 h=350 float=center]

JS – JAMAICA – Under cross-examination yesterday, the prosecution’s main witness said that he was not afraid of entertainer Vybz Kartel, who is on trial for murder.

He made the disclosure when questioned by defence lawyer Tamika Harris on his evidence that he was running from Kartel on August 16, 2011, then stopped a taxi and went with Kartel to a hospital.

“It is not him I am afraid of. It is his friends dem and what him tell dem to do,” the witness responded when Harris pointed out to him that he had said that he waited for Kartel in the hospital yard and then went back with Kartel in a taxi to a guest house in Havendale.

chased by kartel

The witness had testified earlier this week that after he jumped the gate at Kartel’s house and was being chased by Kartel, he saw Kartel hopping. Kartel said his pit bull had bitten him and he wanted to go to the hospital.

Kartel, whose real name is Adidja Palmer, is charged jointly with entertainer Shawn Campbell, also known as Shawn Storm; Kahiro Jones; Shane Williams; and André St John for the murder of 27-year-old dancer Clive ‘Lizard’ Williams.

The Crown, represented by prosecutors Jeremy Taylor and Leighton Morris, is alleging at the trial in the Home Circuit Court that, on August 16, 2011, Williams, of Waterford, St Catherine, was murdered at Kartel’s house in Havendale, St Andrew, over two missing guns.

Yesterday, the witness faced thorough cross-examination from attorney-at-law Pierre Rogers, who is representing Jones, but the witness said he was not lying when he said he did not have a gun on August 16, 2011.

buried the gun

On being shown his statement, the witness said when he went home that night, a man named ‘Bandit’ gave him a gun to ‘lock’ and he buried the gun in his yard.

Rogers also suggested to the witness that some of the things he said in court were not in his statement to the police, but the witness said, “I did tell the police”.

Rogers further suggested to the witness that he told lies and fabricated the story “to get out of the gun charge”, but the witness said he was telling the truth.

ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Dancehall comes out of the closet getting accepted by gay community in europe

November 25, 2013

[singlepic id=676 w=445 h=294 float=center]

Sizzla, Buju Banton and Capleton have drawn the irei of gay rights groups. Photo JO

JO – DANCEHALL artistes have never endeared themselves to the gay community. Several acts including Sizzla, Buju Banton and Capleton have drawn the ire of gay rights groups in Europe and North America for condemning same-sex lifestyle.

As a result, the genre hardly has a presence in gay clubs on both continents. But according to an article posted on www.theguardian.com, that is slowly changing in the United Kingdom.

Kartel Brown is an influential DJ on the London club circuit, playing in popular gay nightspots like Bootylicious. He believes the influx of gay Jamaicans to the United Kingdom 10 years ago helped turn the musical tide.

“A lot of Jamaicans came to London fleeing Jamaica’s anti-gay laws. They were a bit ‘underwhelmed’ with what the city’s gay scene had to offer, so they started creating these little private bashment parties in south London,” he explained. “They made the whole culture popular, you had people who were born here talking patois, eating the food, wearing the clothes, boys ‘brucking’ out like they were dancehall queens.”

This growing demographic has helped dancehall music become a favourite with gay ‘clubbers’. Bootylicious and another hot spot, Misfits, attract large crowds.

According to Misfits promoter Mark-Ashley Dupé, the hostility toward dancehall from gays in the UK has toned down.

“People think dancehall is just one type of look, one type of sound, one type of identity,” he said. “However, in London there are loads of young gay blacks who’ve grown up with the music, and see it differently; they’ve heard it at family events and they know it’s not all aggressive homophobia. You don’t get violent tunes played at a christening! A lot of it is just great party music that makes you go crazy, and now a lot of gay white kids are curious and want to hear more,” he added.

The gay club scene has always been influential in breaking underground music. During the 1970s, it was largely responsible for introducing disco and punk music into the United States and UK mainstream.

Acts like Donna Summer, Chic, Blondie, the Village People, T Rex and the Sex Pistols were embraced by club regulars and owners.

It has not been the case with dancehall. Several of the genre’s top artistes, including Sizzla and Beenie Man, have cancelled shows in the UK due to pressure on promoters from gay advocates like Outrage!

Their counterparts in other European countries and the US have taken similar action.

— Simone Morgan

 

ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

TOP DANCE HALL TUNE OF ALL TIMES

November 22, 2013

[singlepic id=671 w=445 h=294 float=center]

JO – Three Little Birds — Bob Marley

Leave People Business — Admiral Tibet

Talk About Love — Al Campbell

One Blood — Jr Reid

Love & Hate — Dennis Brown

Revolution — Dennis Brown

Vineyard Party — Super Cat

Natural Mystic — Bob Marley

********

Top 10 Dancehall riddims

Rory Gilligan (Stone Love selector/music producer)

Bam Bam — The Maytals

Natural Mystic — Bob Marley

Who The Cap Fit — Bob Marley

Answer ‘riddim’ — Produced by Studio One

Victory Dance ‘riddim’ — Produced Little Roy’s Prophecy, Gregory Isaacs’s Top 10 and Sly and Robbie’s Unmetred Taxi

Full Up ‘riddim’ — Produced by Studio One

Joyride ‘riddim’ — Produced by Dave Kelly

Sleng Teng ‘riddim’ — Produced by Lloyd ‘King Jammys’ James

Punaany ‘riddim’ — Produced by Lloyd ‘King Jammys’ James

Stalag ‘riddim’ — Produced by Winston Riley

ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

This is what Bob Marley would look like to if he was still alive

November 21, 2013

[nggallery id=19]

www.sachsmedia.com releases photos of how dead celebs would look today

JS – JAMAICA – Ever wondered how the King of Reggae, Robert Nesta Marley, or some of your favorite dead celebrities would look aged, had they been alive today?

Well, a recent publication by www.sachsmedia.com has left little to the imagination as it relates to our beloved Bob Marley.

According to the article titled, ‘Rock and Roll Heaven Photos’, courtesy of Sachs Media Group, comes these eerie and fascinating artiste renditions of what legendary rock stars like John Lennon, Bob Marley and Kurt Cobain, among others, would look like if they were alive today.

16,400 likes

The article has so far amassed over 16,400 likes.

The site, in conjunction with PhoJoe, posted not just the pictures, but speculation about what place each artiste would hold in the culture.

According to the publication, had Marley been alive today, he would have been a dream partner for stars like the Fugees and Kanye West.

Marley, the publication says, is reggae music’s most influential artiste, who died in 1981 at the age of 36.

According to Sachs Media Group report Marley, born in the Jamaican ghetto of Trench Town, became reggae music’s most influential artiste.

Marley founded the Wailers with Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer, and the group produced some of the genre’s most recognised songs, including Get Up, Stand Up and I Shot the Sheriff.

After Tosh and Wailer left the group, Marley continued producing such hits as Exodus, One Love and Three Little Birds.

Marley was hugely influential in Jamaica in the mid-1970s, described by Time Magazine as rivalling the government as a political force.

He died of cancer in Miami in 1981, and was buried in Jamaica with full state honours. Marley was later inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994.

THE STAR also examined a few things the publication said Marley would have accomplished had he been alive today.

According to www.sachsmedia.com, Marley’s success was globally inspirational in a way no previous superstar had been.

Had he lived, he would undoubtedly have gone beyond his collaborations with Jamaican, American and British musicians, becoming the central figure in the ‘world music’ explosion and forging new fusions with artistes from Africa, Latin America and Asia.

It is also likely that he would have also attempted to use his influence beyond the musical domain, challenging the ongoing dominance of the old colonial powers and serving as a spokesman for people of colour around the world.

ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Yola Moi Releases New Track

November 15, 2013
Post Image

Yola Moi Artwork

JO – HAVING distinguished herself with a silver medal at the recent International Sport Karate Association World Championship in Cyprus, Danielle Chang is looking to conquer new territory.

Chang is also known as singjay Yola Moi, and she is anticipating musical success with her latest song Nuh Wine Discreet. Produced by Riva Nile Productions, it is a collaboration with deejay Busy Signal.

“Nuh Wine Discreet isn’t only catchy but will get anyone in a dancing mood. I have no doubt that it will become a dancehall anthem,” a confident Yola Moi told the Jamaica Observer.

The 22-year-old, who has other new singles in Take Me Home and Overlay, is not daunted by the competitive dancehall arena. She says she brings something fresh to the table.

“I aim at bringing the full package to my performances. It is not just about delivering vocally in a microphone, it is also about entertaining my audience through dancing,” Yola Moi explained. “I also incorporate dancers in my performances as dancing is a vital component in dancehall.”

The Merl Grove High School past student says like other females in the entertainment industry, she faces challenges.

“Many male producers don’t take us seriously when we want to conduct strictly business. Their aim is to go beyond professionalism.”

— Simone Morgan

 

ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Funeral arrangement company suing Rihanna for not paying grandmother’s $301,793 funeral bill

November 14, 2013
Post Image

600-rihanna-song-artist

DAV – BRIDGETOWN, Barbados – The company that handled funeral arrangements for Rihanna’s beloved grandmother Clara “Dolly” Brathwaite is suing the Barbadian songbird for Bds$202,214.

After Mrs Brathwaite lost her long battle with cancer in June last year, her famous granddaughter threw her a lavish, no-expense-spared funeral in Barbados, complete with “tents, multimedia large screens and huge exotic floral arrangements,” according to celebrity website TMZ, which went on to say that the funeral home claimed that Rihanna only paid one-quarter of the bill.

Now, funeral directors Downes and Wilson have lodged a civil suit against the singer, with the writ filed by Sir Henry Forde QC on behalf of James Wilson and Company claiming that the money due is the balance for the funeral.

The funeral home reportedly conducted the church service and all burial arrangements, which included retrofitting the Emmanuel Baptist Church in St Michael, purchasing the grave at Coral Ridge Memorial Gardens in Christ Church, floral arrangements, limousine services, and more.

According to Wilson, a bill was sent to Rihanna for $301,793 after the funeral, but the company had to date received $72,960.

The 25-year-old singer refused to acknowledge any outstanding debt to the funeral directors in a letter sent to Downes and Wilson by her California lawyers Reed Smith last October.

The letter said in part: “As you know, we are legal counsel for Robyn Rihanna Fenty … Accordingly, no monies are due or owing to you, contractually or otherwise, and no further monies will be paid.”

Caribbean 360

ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

STING 2013 – WHO WILL MAD COBRA CLASH WITH ?

November 11, 2013
Post Image

mad-cobra

 Mad Cobra

 JS – JAMAICA – As the Christmas holiday season draws closer, Sting 30, is on the lips of many Jamaicans, especially those living in the Corporate Area.

The big question being asked by everyone is who will Mad Cobra clash with at Sting this year?

It is widely rumoured that the veteran tough-talking deejay will do battle with another hardcore dancehall act who has triumphed in several Sting clashes in the past.

Cobra, who shot to prominence in 1992 with the Billboard Chart hit, Flex, has featured in two of the most epic Sting clashes ever.

In 1995, Cobra battled with perennial Sting clash king Ninja Man on Boxing Day at Jam World. Five days later, the two of them featured in the second leg of the clash at the Catherine Hall Entertainment Centre in Montego Bay with many pundits saying the clash was undecided.

Sources close to Cobra have said that he is eager to clash again at Sting, once the price is right and he is not afraid to clash anyone.

According to Supreme Promotions CEO, Isaiah Laing, when the time is right the public will know who will clash at Sting 30.

“We are not ready to announce who will clash at Sting 30, but I guarantee that the clash will be very exciting this year. Throughout the years, we have had some of the most memorable clashes and we intend to keep that tradition going. When the time is right we will release more information about the clash,” said Laing.

Sting 30 will be held on Boxing Day at Jam World in Portmore, St Catherine under the theme ‘Bring the Sting Jamaica Party 2013.’

Cultural Xpression 2017 Audio Commercial
Menu Title