Schoolgirl hospitalized after taking ecstasy pills

August 26, 2017
Post Image

Photo By The Dailyherald

SOUTH REWARD–A 14-year-old student attending Milton Peters College was admitted to St. Maarten Medical Center (SMMC) on Wednesday evening for experiencing the effects of taking more than one ecstasy pill. Police are tight-lipped about the incident, however, The Daily Herald understands that she got the pills from a fellow student at school on Wednesday.



Latino autopsy leads to accidental drowning say the Gendarmerie

August 4, 2017
Post Image

Photo by: Panoramio.com

MARIGOT–The Gendarmerie said Thursday the Latino man whose body was found floating in the water near the whale observatory on Coralita Road near Oyster Pond most likely died from drowning. The autopsy was carried out on Wednesday, August 2, and showed water in the lungs of the deceased.

“There was no evidence on the body of any injury or trauma consistent with a struggle or assault with a weapon,” Capitaine Régis Turlan Arto disclosed. “We haven’t ruled out homicide yet, but the preliminary indications suggest death by drowning.”Walkers in the area spotted the body, semi-submerged with head facing down, around 50 metres from the shore line at 12:25 pm on July 26, and immediately called the Gendarmes. According to the press release issued, the body was of a “Latino” man recently deceased, aged around 35 years old, 1:80 metres in height.

He was wearing Bermuda shorts, a T-shirt and a distinctive belt buckle. No shoes, identity documents, cell phone or car keys were found on or near the body. However, one red-and-white basketball shoe was found on the bank, but it was not known if this belonged to the body.

Anyone who thinks the description of the man who was found corresponds to a missing person is asked to call the number 17; persons with any useful information to assist the investigation can call the same number.

Source: https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/68226-gendarmerie-latino-autopsy-points-to-accidental-drowning


Man found shot Dead in Hope Estate

January 26, 2017
Post Image

Photo By Daily Herald

PHILIPSBURG–Franky Brunache was shot in cold blood, execution-style, by unknown assailant(s) in front of his home in Hope Estate late Tuesday evening. Police arrived on the scene after 11:00pm and found the young man on the floor of a black SUV near the driver’s side.

Police Chief Carl John and a Prosecutor were on scene late Tuesday as investigators were speaking to any possible witnesses trying to piece together what had taken place. Forensic officers also bagged and tagged any possible evidence found at the man’s home.

As the investigation continues, it is still too early to speculate on the reason for the shooting. However, police suspect that the bullets that made multiple holes found on the vehicle caused the victim’s immediate death.

Police spokesman Chief Inspector Ricardo Henson is calling on any person in the community who might have information about the murder to call 911.



In January 2015 there were 18 hit and run cases

February 10, 2015


PHILIPSBURG — The police will be cracking down on perpetrators of hit-and-run accidents in the country as the number of cases continues to escalate.

A total of 18 cases of hit-and-run were recorded in January alone. Of the 18 cases, nine have been solved and six will be taken to court where the suspects will have to give their accounts of the accidents in front of a judge.

Police spokesperson Inspector Ricardo Henson said in a police press release on Monday that the Police Traffic Department had reported many collisions taking place on the island after which motorists drive away without leaving the necessary information behind.

“In addition to this, it has become quite regular that drivers who are involved in a traffic accident are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or a combination thereof, which causes them to be unable to drive properly,” Henson said. “The Traffic Department is paying a lot of attention to perpetrators and will make sure they are brought to justice.”

He said the Prosecutor’s Office and the Police Force had been in consultation regarding these illegal acts and many agreements had been made.

Also in January, two drivers were arrested after a collision because they had been under the influence of alcohol. These suspects also will be summoned to appear in court, Henson said. – The Daily Herald


Statia boat accident leaves one crew member dead

January 28, 2015
Post Image

st-eustatia-boat -accident

Removing the lifeless body from the boat – Photo The Daily Herald

ST. EUSTATIUS–One man died after a fishing boat capsized in the waters between St. Eustatius and St. Kitts on January 27.

Harbour Master Austin van Heyningen, of the harbour in Statia, received a call at 4:03pm from the police, stating they had received a distress call from a vessel located South-east of Statia. It transpired that the fishing boat had capsized, leaving three people in the water. One person managed to swim to shore and raised the alarm, while the other two remained with the vessel.

Within minutes, the crew of MV Waterman had been mobilised, and the crew were standing by for instructions five minutes later.

At 4.14 the coordinates of the vessel were confirmed and a tentative location East of Core Bay was given, although the distance to shore could not be confirmed and at 4:21 the MV Waterman, carrying Captain Roy Lawrence, mate V. Woodley, Port Security E. Schmidt and a police officer by the name of Patrick set out to the site, as did a Rigid-hulled inflatable boat (RHIB) from the Dutch Caribbean Coast Guard.

Unfortunately the rescue came too late for one of the two remaining crew members, who had passed away by the time the rescue vessels arrived.

The vessel in distress was a St. Kitts fishing vessel, which had sustained engine trouble. The vessel had started drifting and taking on water, approximately 3/4 miles off shore, before capsizing.

The Fire department was also called out to assist in the rescue. The survivor and the deceased man were brought back to Statia on the MV Waterman. The Daily Herald


Police takes responsibility for neglected children

January 20, 2015
Post Image


COLE BAY–Three young children were taken into police care after they were found in a neglected state on Monday. The children, ages two to six, were said to have been locked inside a residential house in the Wellington Road area with no adult supervision, Police Spokesman Inspector Henson confirmed.

A neighbour became suspicious and observed the children through a window, before contacting police. According to the neighbour this is not the first time the children were left unattended.

The police took the children to a safe place and handed them over to the Court of Guardianship, Henson said. Officers are now looking to speak to the children’s mother. The Daily Herald


Suspect in roof top murder held by police

January 20, 2015
Post Image

PHILIPSBURG–A twenty-four-year-old man with the initials L.A.D. has recently been arrested on suspicion of being involved in the murder of Junior Bertin-Maurice, who was shot dead outside the Rooftop Bar on A. Th. Illidge Road on August 16, 2014.

Spokeswoman for the Prosecutors Office Tineke Kamps confirmed this on Monday. She said that the suspect in the case, which is known as the Calabash Investigation, was arrested in Pointe Blanche Prison, where he was serving a prison sentence for an unrelated case.

The man is now also in pre-trial detention for the murder. He will today be brought before the Judge of Instruction, who will test the legalities of the arrest before the pre-trial detention is confirmed. For the suspect, it will not make much of a difference as he is already serving a sentence.

In an invited comment, Kamps stated that the investigation team has carefully examined any potential links between the murder of Bertin-Maurice and a second murder, on September 1, 2014, in which Liscania Maduro was found murdered in the trunk of her own car, however, so far, no evidence has been found to suggest that the two cases were linked.

Rumours on the island suggested the two cases may be linked, as Bertin-Maurice, who had been inside the nightclub, had been called to come outside by a young woman shortly before he was shot.

Anyone with any information about the murder of Maduro, or about any other murder case, is asked to contact Philipsburg Police Station or call the anonymous tip-line on tel. 9300. The Daily Herald


Police return Stolen jewelry to owners after 9 years

January 16, 2015
Post Image


PHILIPSBURG–On Wednesday, January 14, 2015, St. Maarten Police Force had the chance of making a 52-year old woman, whose house was burgled in June 2006, very happy.

An earring and a bracelet with great emotional value were returned to her. The return of the jewellery to its rightful owner, nine years after the offence, was in part due to the good description of the jewellery that the victim had given.

The burglary was committed in June 2006 in a house in Nazareth. The homeowners reported the burglary and gave a thorough description of the burglary that was stolen.

At a much later stage, a suspect was arrested for several burglaries and multiple pieces of jewellery were found in his possession. They were confiscated by the police.

When this happens, the police always try to find the rightful owner of the confiscated goods. Sometimes this is very difficult, because many people don’t provide the police with information that is detailed enough; for instance they report that “a ring” was stolen, but they cannot give a good description of the ring.

In a press release, the police sent out a message to the public to inform them of the importance, in case of a burglary or a robbery, to give a clear and explicit description of the stolen goods, because sometimes the goods do come back to the victim.

“Burglaries do happen, but to make the chances of getting stolen goods back where they belong, in your possession, it’s good to think about a way to describe the more expensive or valuable ones properly,” the press release stated.

“Write down brands, serial numbers and other specifics or, in case of jewellery or art projects, take pictures so the police can return the goods to their rightful owner when they are located. – The Daily Herald


St Maarten Stalker get ban from being close to ex girlfriend

January 15, 2015
Post Image

abuse stalking

GREAT BAY – The Court in First Instance imposed a contact ban and prohibited Ramon Decena Castillo to come within a radius of 100 meters of his now ex-girlfriend’s home and place of work. The court also sentenced the 36-year-old to 180 days of imprisonment of which 124 days are suspended. The remaining days the defendant already spent in pretrial detention.

The court found Castillo guilty of stalking his ex-girlfriend after she broke off the relationship and of hitting her on the head with a stone on one occasion, but it acquitted him of threatening the women when he allegedly drove by her home and waved a knife at her from his car.

The incidents mark a relationship that was troubled from the beginning. Castillo, who is married, maintained a relationship with the plaintiff for three years, but it ended sometime last summer. The stalking and the ill-treatment took place between January 1, 2012 and September 18, 2014.

The defendant told investigators that the real problems began in August of last year. He came to the woman’s house, peeped through her windows, called her and knocked on her door, even though she had told him not to come back.

Judge Maria Paulides noted, reading from the dossier, that the woman had ended the relationship because Castillo was extremely jealous and always wanted to know where she was.

Castillo admitted that he had gone to the woman’s house on August 31 of last year because she had to pay him $1,300 and that he would use this money to travel to the Dominican Republic. That night things got out of hand, whereby he hit the woman with a stone on her head, causing profusely bleeding wounds. The victim’s daughter saw it happened and learned from her mother’s phone that Castillo had called her ten times in a row.

The victim’s son described the defendant to investigators as “a nice man until he starts drinking.”

Castillo claimed in court that the head wound was the result of a push and shove party between him and the woman. He was released from pretrial detention in November – after that, there have been no more problems. “That is because you were in the Dominican Republic,” Judge Paulides observed.

Prosecutor Karola van Nie considered both the stalking and the ill-treatment proven. Witnesses, phone records and medical reports support the victim’s claims. For the threat with the knife, the prosecutor found insufficient evidence and she asked the court to acquit the defendant of this charge.

Castillo was detained from September 24 until November 19 of last year. Van Nie demanded a 6-month conditional prison sentence with 2 years of probation, 120 hours of community service and supervision by the rehabilitation bureau. She also demanded a contact ban.

Attorney Shaira Bommel concurred with the prosecution’s demand for an acquittal of the threat. She also noted that her client had not intentionally stalked the woman, saying that her client may have been overly concerned. “It was an on-and-off relationship and in every relationship there are troubles from time to time. Stalking was never the intention.”

Bommel furthermore pointed out that none of the witnesses had actually seen the ill-treatment with the stone. “Pushing does not fall under ill-treatment,” she said. “If this happened, then where is the stone he supposedly used? There should have been blood on it, but the stone has not been found and nobody saw my client walk away with something in his hand.”

The attorney concluded that there is insufficient evidence for a conviction and asked the court for an acquittal. Judge Paulides did not go along and sentenced Castillo for stalking and ill-treatment. “This type of behavior cannot be tolerated,” the judge said. “When it is over, it is over and you have to respect that.”



1200 Kilo cocaine theft case – Arrests made in Police Narcotics investigation

January 14, 2015
Post Image

Cocaine- bust

Santo Domingo.- After marathon interrogations the Justice Ministry on Monday night arrested the Santo Domingo Province assistant DA Ramon Veras, a National Police colonel and other officers who alleged stole 1,200 kilos of cocaine seized in Santo Domingo Este.

FILE. The Justice Ministry will announce Tuesday  the preliminary findings of the investigation into the theft and sale of more than 1,200 kilos of cocaine seized during raids in Santo Domingo Este, linked to officers of the Police Narcotics Div. (Dican) and two Assistant DAs in that jurisdiction.

Investigators Monday night continued to interrogate civilians and officers suspected of having strong links with the case that has jeopardized the antinarcotics agency’s pursuit of street pushers.

Justice minister Francisco Dominguez, quoted by Listin Diario said decisions will be made today on the arrest and arraignment of most of those involved in the drug theft.

He said the investigation advances but revealed that there’re still some people to interrogate to complete the increasingly widening case, with charges filed today.

The people notified by investigators have already been interrogated except for one, who’s expected to appear before the authorities. – DOMINICAN TODAY

Cultural Xpression 2017 Audio Commercial
Menu Title